Why Microsoft Exchange Sucks

Posted by in Google Apps, Microsoft on May 12th, 2010 | 13 Comments

Microsoft Exchange vs. Google GmailIf you’re a regular of this blog, you know by now that I hate Microsoft. Why do I hate Microsoft? Because Microsoft sucks. I just talked about why Microsoft Office sucks and I’ve talked about why Internet Explorer sucks. Now I’m going to talk about why Microsoft Exchange sucks.

Let me tell you about a story about how I talked to two separate individuals today who had two separate Microsoft Exchange issues that made their lives just a little bit harder and more annoying.

The first person who was having an Exchange issue is a woman who I met during a real estate seminar. Her question was, “why can’t I get my Exchange e-mail on my iPhone?” I asked her, “how are you getting your e-mail then?” Her answer: “I forward it to my Gmail.” Is this what people are really doing to get their Exchange e-mail? Seriously? Forwarding it to their Gmail account? She then says, “the problem is that I can’t reply with my @businessname.com e-mail address, I have to reply with my @gmail.com address.”

This story goes to show how nonsensical Microsoft Exchange has become. If someone has to route their Exchange e-mail to their Gmail account so they get their business e-mail, you know that something is wrong with Microsoft Exchange.  With Google Apps, e-mail on your phone will just work like it’s supposed to.

The second issue that popped up today was when I was helping my father set up an account on Linked In. He was using a laptop in the kitchen and I was telling him that Linked In was going to be sending him a confirmation e-mail. He said, “Oh, okay. I have to open up my other computer then.”  Hold on. You are on a laptop, what do you mean you have to open up your other computer? “I don’t know how to open up my e-mail on this computer.”

Do you know what I do to get my Google Apps e-mail from any computer in the world?  I type in mail.zadling.com and enter my username and password. It’s that simple! I have my e-mail in 3 clicks. What does someone with Microsoft Exchange do? They have to open their work computer that they may or may not have (since it’s at the office).

Greg gives us another reason why Exchange sucks: because deleting e-mail on your phone does not delete them from your inbox.

So with two real life examples that occurred within 6 hours of each other, you know why Microsoft Exchange sucks.

For the record, you can get Exchange e-mail on your phone and you can access your e-mail over the web, but the point that I’m trying to illustrate with these two examples is that it does not come without struggles for many people due to the complicated nature of Exchange. With Google Apps, your e-mail will work the way it’s supposed to with ease.

If you’re tired of Microsoft Exchange and want business e-mail that simply works, I can help.  Call me at 1-888-652-3135 or visit our page on Google Apps to learn more.

13 Responses to “Why Microsoft Exchange Sucks”

1. Brian

May 12, 10 at 5:16 am

It also sucks at filtering mail. You have to remember to set filters so that the mail you don’t need to see right now goes to folders stores on the Exchange server. If you don’t, then the filters stop working when you shut down for the day. Not too bad if you really get to shut down. But if you are a 24x7x365 techie like me (and have a phone with this email account), you don’t want your inbox junked up with crappy little alerts, out of office, and other junk that people feel like automatically sending you.

2. Zachary Zawarski

May 12, 10 at 5:33 am

Thanks Brian. I actually ended up getting one hateful comment from an Exchange user. To respond to their allegations. Yes, I know you can set up Exchange for mobile phones. I didn’t say that could not be done. I was illustrating that your Average Joe does not know how to do this with ease. This is a real life example of my encounter with a disgruntled Exchange user. Yes, web access for e-mail Exchange is also available, but again, it cannot always be done with the ease of typing in mail.yourdomain.com.

3. Boost Traffic With A Controversial Blog Post | Zadling

May 12, 10 at 8:18 pm

[...] One great technique to increase traffic to your blog is to blog about something controversial.  That’s what I did yesterday when I wrote an article on why Microsoft Exchange sucks. [...]

4. eric

Jun 01, 10 at 8:07 pm

Not to mention that its bloated, unreliable, complicated and overall a huge liability on any network. Exchange is a huge POS.

5. Don

Jul 13, 10 at 3:57 am

I am often on the road and it’s a struggle to get MS Outhouse to actually connect to the Exchange server. And the exchange admin won’t open up IMAP or POP3 because they’re “not secure” (maybe the Exchange implementation isn’t…. my personal server uses SSL for IMAP and it’s quite secure).

6. Anon

Sep 28, 10 at 5:17 am

You don’t know the half of it. Try installing and configuring it sometime. I prefer to call it Windows ExchangeThisPileofCrap for Sendmail and/or Postfix.

7. Problems with the iPad and Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 | Zadling

Oct 20, 10 at 5:57 pm

[...] talk to has had a major problem with Microsoft Exchange.  It’s difficult for some people to add their Microsoft Exchange email on their phone.  Configuring the mail.yourdomain.com address for Microsoft Exchange is cumbersome and confusing. [...]

8. Mckracker

Dec 03, 10 at 1:36 am

Amen, to the guy who tried to configure this pile of crap. Truthfully, I like Outlook. I prefer it for emailing. And I’ve been setting up exchange boxes for years. The thing is: they have inexplicably taken something that was very easy; SBS2003, with one GUI to do almost everything, and made it unecessarily difficult. Every install involves an error, google-ing a solution to be followed by another error ad infinitum. Microsoft seems to be determined to screw up constantly. It’s as if they’re daring customers to go elsewhere.

9. Rooster Dar

Jan 26, 12 at 8:35 pm

I’m a certified and active Exchange Administrator, have been for years. Although Exchange has some cool features, I agree it’s bloated and doesn’t work well all the time. I believe it’s just poor programming and not enough testing before it was introduced.

I have met many frustrations with Exchange on all versions, but 2010 has got to be the worst ever.

Regards,

10. Nelson Hguyen

Apr 24, 12 at 4:11 pm

Exchange gets more complicated and unreliable every year. Try an open source groupware server like Citadel, you will not be disappointed !

11. The Device

Dec 09, 13 at 6:40 pm

Also, I agree that Exchange sucks, but how about real reasons why it sucks? Like how about my iPhone can pick up on my Exchange account faster than Outlook can? (Which takes like 20 – 30 minutes)

I reread what you wrote and it seems like iPhone’s could have Exchange on them back then (Which I thought it would, but weirder things have happened) and she was just too dumb.

I don’t understand why that’s an issue with Microsoft because some who probably doesn’t even take 2 hours out of her day to figure it out (after having the issue for weeks or months) complains about “ease.”

Also, if you don’t post these comments because they are demeaning (Yes, I expect you to take criticism.) You’re a little right, I think you could have made this post much better.

12. Bruce Smith

Feb 26, 14 at 5:08 am

13. Jeff

Jul 11, 14 at 11:28 pm

Yeah, the company I work just migrated to Exchange and I can attest to about 8000 people who hate the change. Everything in exchange is more complex and bloated for NO added value. Incredible that any company would actually choose this mail solution. At our company they told the business units they had to give up office if they didn’t pick Exchange. So basically they picked office and we got sucker punched with Exchange. FPOS.